Since their creation in 1886, automobiles have been involved in billions of car crashes. Car accident statistics show that motor vehicles continue to be one of the leading causes of injury and death across the world today. Many people fail to give cars the proper respect they deserve. Instead of seeing them as incredibly useful tools, they are often misused or negligently handled. At Sommerman, McCaffity, Quesada & Geisler, L.L.P., we know firsthand how devastating car accidents can be for all involved.
Know the Facts
The following car accident statistics can be sobering to contemplate:
- 33,963 people died in connection with auto accidents in the US in 2012, totaling 25% of all accidental deaths that year.
- One third of those fatalities were caused by drunk driving and occurred nearly once every 45 minutes.
- Car crashes are the number one cause of death for teenagers.
- Almost 25% of all traffic accidents involve cell phone usage.
- Driving and talking on a cell phone can decrease a driver’s reaction time to match that of a 70 year old.
- In the time it takes to answer a simple text (about 5 seconds), a driver can travel the entire span of a football field.
- 35% of teens admit to texting while driving despite acknowledging the severe risks.
Contact Us 24/7
At Sommerman, McCaffity, Quesada & Geisler, L.L.P., we experience the effects of these car accident statistics every day. Our attorneys have helped hundreds of individuals and families rebuild their futures after facing the difficulties a car crash can bring. You don’t have to brave the insurance companies or complicated court system on your own. A skilled accident attorney can help you develop a plan of action to get you back to where you were before the accident ever occurred.