Sean McCaffity is a seasoned trial attorney with big firm experience. Sean primarily represents plaintiffs in complex commercial litigation. He also handles cases involving business fraud, audit malpractice, fiduciary litigation, director and officer liability, fraudulent transfer and whistleblower litigation.
Sean has represented Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees, liquidating trustees post-confirmation and receivers attempting to collect and liquidate assets for the benefit of creditors. Sean has been involved in numerous high-stakes cases, including multiple lawsuits arising out of the In re: Daisytek International Corp. (a billion dollar public company) and In re: Provident Royalties, LLC (a $500 million oil and gas Ponzi scheme) bankruptcies.
He has been recognized for his work with such honors as Super Lawyers Rising Star for 7 consecutive years, the National Collegiate Debate Champion and Top Speaker at the National Debate Tournament. Sean has also spoken at the Jay Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference.
After earning his law degree from Baylor University School of Law with high honors, he immediately went to work for a large Dallas law firm. Sean says he quickly realized plaintiff’s work was what he enjoyed the most. He was offered a position at a litigation boutique specializing in complex commercial litigation on the plaintiff’s side of the docket and jumped at the opportunity. He has been doing the same type of work ever since.
Sean grew up in Garland, Texas and went to school at Northwestern University in Chicago. After four years in the chilly Midwest, he decided to return to Texas to attend law school. Sean was awarded the Leon Jaworski scholarship for Baylor Law and ended up attending on a full ride.
Sean enjoys triathlons, road cycling and racing sailboats in North Texas in his spare time. Sean is married to his “wonderful wife” Stephanie and has “three awesome daughters” Alex, Audrey and Addison. He is also active in his church, Creekwood United Methodist Church, and is a former member of the Dallas Urban Debate Alliance Board of Directors and the City of Lucas Planning & Zoning Commission.
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Fraud
- Director & Officer Liability
- Audit Malpractice
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Fraudulent Transfer Litigation
- Personal Injury
- State Bar of Texas, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern U.S. District Courts of Texas
- Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern U.S. Bankruptcy Courts of Texas
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Northwestern University, B.A., 1996
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Lifetime Member, Best Attorneys of America
- Best Lawyers, 2020-2021
- Super Lawyers, 2018 by Thomson Reuters
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2004-2011
- National Collegiate Debate Champion 1994, 1995
- Top Speaker National Debate Tournament, 1996
CLASSES AND SEMINARS
- Speaker, “Presuming Ponzi: Fraudulent Transfer Law in the Fifth Circuit and Ponzi Schemes,” Jay Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference, November 2015