800-900-5373 (Toll Free)
At Sommerman & Quesada, L.L.P., we strive to know our clients and help them successfully carry their load to a successful conclusion.
"Of Counsel" signifies exemplary leadership and integrity in the practice of law as well as service to the community. Al Ellis has earned this special designation through a lifetime of professional achievement, personal generosity and energetic public service.
Al Ellis is known in legal circles for his long list of professional credentials.
He is an advocate for his clients, having tried more than 175 jury trials.
He has been admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and all federal and state courts in Texas.
Following graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington and a tour of duty in Vietnam as a U.S. Army Airborne infantry officer, he obtained his J.D. from Southern Methodist University. While attending SMU, Mr. Ellis was student chief counsel for the SMU Legal Clinic and a member of the board of editors for the Journal of Air Law and Commerce.
He is a member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, which is an elite organization comprised of only 500 members in the U.S.; the American Board of Trial Advocates; the Million Dollar Advocates Forum; and the Dallas Bar Association. He has served as a board member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Texas Bar Association, Dallas Bar Association, Law Focused Education, Inc., Legal Services of North Texas, Dallas Legal Hospice, Dallas Habitat for Humanity, and Texas Equal Access to Justice Foundation and currently serves as chair of the Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism. He often serves as an instructor of trial advocacy at the SMU Dedman School of Law.
Past leadership roles includes: presidencies of the Dallas Bar Association, Dallas Trial Lawyers Association, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, American Board of Trial Advocates (Dallas chapter), Dallas Council on Alcoholism, and Dallas All Sports Association, tournament director for the Dallas Regional Golden Gloves Tournament for 20 years. Al Ellis has also been a core volunteer for Dallas Habitat for Humanity for more than 20 years.
Al Ellis' numerous honors include: the Dallas Jaycees Distinguished Service Award, Dallas All Sports Association Distinguished Service Award, Dallas Trial Lawyers Distinguished Community Involvement Award, Leon Jaworski Award for Teaching Excellence, Nancy Garms Memorial Award for Outstanding Contributions to Law-Focused Education, Best Lawyers in America 2003-04, D Magazine's Best Lawyers in Dallas 2003, Dallas Lawyers' Auxiliary Justinian Award, UTA Distinguished Alumni, Dallas Bar Association Martin Luther King Jr. Justice Award and Texas Bar Foundation Dan Price Memorial Award. He has been recognized in Who's Who in American Law, South and Southwest, Texas, America and world.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Texas, 1972
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1972
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1972
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1972
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- Honors: Student Chief Counsel, SMU Legal Clinic
- Honors: Member, Board of Editors for the Journal of Air Law and Commerce
- University of Texas, Arlington
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy, SMU Dedman School of Law
Honors and Awards
- Dallas All Sports Association Distinguished Service Award
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Distinguished Community Involvement Award
- Leon Jaworski Award, Teaching Excellence
- Nancy Garms Memorial Award, Outstanding Contributions to Law-Focused Education
- Jim Bowmen Professionalism Award
- C.B. Bunkley Community Service Award
- UTA Distinguished Alumni
- Dallas Lawyers' Auxiliary Justinian Award
- Dallas Bar Association Martin Luther King Jr. Justice Award
- UTA Department of Military Science Hall of Honor
- Best Lawyers in America, 2003 - 2004
- D Magazine's Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2003
- Texas Bar Foundation Dan Price Memorial Award
- Who's Who in American Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Past Board Member
- State Bar of Texas, Past Board Member
- Law Focused Education, Inc., Past President and Board Member
- Legal Services of North Texas, Past Board Member
- Dallas Legal Hospice, Past Board Member
- Dallas Habitat for Humanity, Past Board Member
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism, Past Chair
- Dallas Bar Association, Past President
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Past President
- American Board of Trial Advocates Dallas Chapter, Past President
- Dallas Council on Alcoholism, Past President
- Dallas All Sports Association, Past President